Are you feeling run down and out of energy? Are you struggling to keep up with your work and personal obligations?
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine that has been around for centuries. One of the key principles of ayurveda is that of balance – or finding equilibrium within the body and mind.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
So today lets look at balancing with Taste
In Ayurveda, all foods are made up of one or more of the six tastes. The six tastes are:
Learn More about
Each of the six tastes provides important nutritional benefits that your body needs. By including all six tastes in each meal, the body intuitively sends signals to the brain when you’re fulfilled and it’s time to stop eating.
And in this way, you feel more nourished, satisfied and less likely to feel hungry later.
These tastes are packed with information. Simply put, everything you need to know about your food comes from its taste.
Ayurveda also makes it simple. Eat the six tastes in every meal, and make each meal as colorful as you can.
Six tastes of food:
Key Points to balance with Taste:
- We can increase or decrease our intake of each of the six tastes based on their elemental qualities.
- Remember, restoring balance to a dosha requires you to introduce opposite qualities of that particular dosha. Each taste and each dosha are made up of elements.
- Choose food comprised of tastes without the same elements of the dosha you need to balance.
Are you ready to learn more?
Do you know which of your Mind and Body Dosha needs balancing?
In our Holistic health program, you can take the Dosha quiz to understand your mind-body type and your current needs to balance your body and mind.
Ayurvedic medicine is based on the idea that the world is made up of five elements — aakash (space), jala (water), prithvi (earth), teja (fire), and vayu (air)
A combination of these element results in our unique mind-body type/s or doshas, known as vata, kapha, and pitta. These doshas are believed to be responsible for a person’s physiological, mental, and emotional health.
- Take a moment to pause and notice your breathing.
- Feel the air going in and out of your body.
- Observe how deep or shallow the breathing is
- Ask yourself: What are the sources of tastes in my life?
- Can you notice any unpleasant feeling in your body?
- Slow deep breathing… and guide your breath to go deeper
- Remind yourself of power of choice you have, the power to pause, breathe and be mindful.
- Be Present with what you eat.
Remember that you have a choice!
Breathe, connect with power of choice and stay balanced.
In our Holistic health program, you can learn about what is a dosha or mind-body makeup as described by Ayurveda. (three doshas: Vata, Pita, Kapha).
Understand what each dosha looks like when it is in-balance and when it is out of balance.