In our Holistic Health series, let’s continue from the previous topic of five elements, and look at how to balance ourselves by focusing on our five senses or what Ayurveda calls as the five gateways.
Do you know which of your Mind and Body Dosha needs balancing?
Ayurvedic medicine is based on the idea that the world is made up of five elements — aakash (space), jala (water), prithvi (earth), teja (fire), and vayu (air)
A combination of these element results in our unique mind-body type/s or doshas, known as vata, kapha, and pitta. These doshas are believed to be responsible for a person’s physiological, mental, and emotional health.
Let’s explore how to use our senses to balance our lives or our dosha.
Most people may not either be aware of how everything we consume affects us or what we can do. If we think about it, we will see that as we take in each impressions through our senses –> they have a physiological effect on our body.
Ayurveda & meditation help us cultivate self awareness and remind us of how we can change our life by changing our experiences.
Let us explore further with below questions: (ask and reflect)
- What is happening around me?
- What am in taking in with each sense? (Eye, Ear, Nose, Taste, Touch)
Notice that each moment you are brining in something from the environment; like you are breathing in air, looking at something…
Similarly the opposite is true, what you are putting back out in the world. Ayurveda has a beautiful saying which reminds us about what we do is affecting the outside.
“As is the microcosm,
so is the macrocosm”
So as we start to reflect we notice that we are inter-connected to the Universe. And when we start thinking about those concepts, we realize there actually is no separation between us as an individualized expression of consciousness and consciousness as a whole.
- BREATHE: Take a moment to pause and breathe.
- Slow deep breathing… and guide your breath to go deeper
- Try breathing in for a count of 4 and breathing out for a count of 5 or longer
- REFLECT: on a what you are taking in from each sense in this moment.
- Come back to the breath & without any judgement notice your body, thoughts or any sensations
- With the next breath out Release and let go of what is not needed
or anything that is not helping you right now.
- Ask yourself – what I am taking in – are they helping or hurting me?
Remember that have a choice! on what impressions you choose to bring in to stay balanced.
In our Holistic health program, you can learn about what is a dosha or mind-body makeup as described by Ayurveda. (three doshas: Vata, Pita, Kapha).
Understand what each dosha looks like when it is in-balance and when it is out of balance.