Fears are a part of life, aren’t they? How many times has fear consumed you and stopped you from doing great things? I’m sure the answer is quite a few. Fear can be debilitating and the only way you can overcome it is by acting.
“We generate fears while we sit. We overcome them by action.”
Dr. Henry Link
This quote is by Dr. Henry C Link whose story of restoration of faith can inspire many. Fear can take over any part of your life and it is important to remember that many who have had similar fears have beaten all odds and emerged triumphant. You can do it too!
Imagine you must get through an obstacle course. Naturally, you’re going to have competitors and they will try to beat you. The fear of losing is natural and you are not going to overcome it by stalling. You must train hard and your competence should instill the fear of losing into others.
You will have to take initiative and do something.
Acting is by far the most important thing to do if you want to overcome fear. “Face your fears” is an overused phrase but it is completely true. Cowering will not help you one bit.
For example, if you want better grades in your exams, you must work harder to reach those goals. If you trust yourself to do it, no fear can crop up and destroy it!
Take some steps, no matter how small.
Take the example of icons like Jeff Bezos, who in the face of fear trusted his instincts and worked towards a company that has a humongous stature in today’s world. Get inspired and start sweeping those fears away!
- BREATHE: Take a moment to pause and breathe.
- Slow deep breathing… and guide your breath to go deeper
- Try breathing in for a count of 4 and breathing out for a count of 5 or longer
- REFLECT: Do you let your fears consume you every time?
- What thoughts come up?
- What are you feeling?
- Can you identify any Fears?
- Come back to the breath & without any judgement notice your body, thoughts or any sensations
- With the next breath out – Release and let go anything that is not helping you right now
- Ask yourself are these thoughts helping or hurting me?
- Opening your fist visualize releasing a string and release the fear
Watch the balloon fly away…
- you have take steps to alleviate fear. Action takes precedence.
- If things are not working out for you, take time out to remind yourself that you are strong, and this is just a blip in your radar.